Saturday, May 16, 2009

Glary, by way of Persnickety

I almost chose persnickety, as passed in the online Times article about Daniel Boulud, who, thankfully, does not grade on a curve. Grading food on a curve is a very bad idea, as everybody should know.

That said, I found my eyes wandering toward the bookshelf and noticing Andre (accent on the e) Aciman's False Papers. In the chapter titled In Search of Blue, Aciman writes:

It is when I am almost blinded by light in New York City that I remember the sea on glary sunny days.

The previous chapter, Alexandria: The Capital of Memory, quotes Cavafy:

For you won't find a new country,
won't find a new shore,
the city will always pursue you,
and no ship will ever take you away from yourself.

No doubt that goes for country folk, too.

All this going-awayity brings to mind a poem a 12- or 13-year-old student wrote in or around 1932. When I put my hands on it, I'll see about posting it on On a Clear Day.

No comments: