Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Shorty

Did Bobby Kennedy Jr. really write shorty shorts in The Riverkeepers, the 1997 book co-authored with John Cronin? I am doubtful. My guess is that a ghost-writer or an editor wrote it--but maybe Robert Kennedy Jr. really does use such a term. It could be a matter of the written and the spoken and the unaccounted difference when toggling.

This morning I was reading along in an attempt to understand the background of the Marcellus Shale situation--even just a little--and to see how Bobby Kennedy Jr. told it. I also wanted to see how he would portray Al Appleton, the then-new DEP commissioner under Dinkins and a man who is now providing gorgeous swaths of testimony in opposition to drilling in the Marcellus Shale Upstate. At the DEC hearing at Stuyvesant High School, Mr Appleton pointed to a sign I was wearing--reading Haste Makes Waste. Apparently he agreed. (Later he told the DEC man what an utter put-up job (I believe his words) and travesty (mine) is the dSGEIS on the "oil, gas and solution mining regulatory program (Marcellus Shale)."

(I had other signs. The one that read DEC to NYC: Frack You! disappeared, as did the one reading Mr. Grannis, What About a Clean Outdoor Act? I had perched them in a couple of places.

One sentence so far has gotten stuck in my craw just a little (p. 210 in the paperback edition, after some background about how in January 1991 the DEP, backed by the EPA, ordered the city to construct a filtration plant for the Catskill and Delaware systems): "We believed that while filtration might be necessary in the future, it should be viewed as a last resort."

Then: ". . . we acknowledged that in a perfect world the best solution would be filtration and watershed protection. but costs and politics made this impossible."

Currently we have a situation that presents only problems knitted poorly and in ugly colors. Costs continue to make filtration laughably impossible, but somehow politics is moving things right along. Perhaps a solution will automagically present itself.

Until then, we have shorty shorts , citation below (and here I must mention that Bobby Kennedy Jr.'s childhood cup ranneth over in natural plenitude--and apparently he and his siblings were not allowed inside during the day when the weather was good--and also say what wonderful an idea it is to dive into the Croton River and hug a rock in order to watch fish come and go).

Citation: I still have a picture of myself seated across from the president in my shorty shorts looking into the large crystal vase I had between my legs.

No comments: