Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grabby

This is not such an interesting word, granted. The Times recently ran a run-down of the language used in "Mad Men," how authentic it is or not. For example, in one episode--would I could remember it at the moment--Peggy uses the phrase "I'm in a good place right now," a misplaced expression. How this got on-air I'll never know. One of the best expressions (which isn't really an expression expression) is "I am sorry about that," which Roger says to Don after he lets slip about Henry Francis.

In the meantime, there is the new season. The premiere opened with a line so silly, I thought I was watching the wrong program.

Slate and the Wall Street Journal (sorry, but bring on the pillows for the Journal) have been commenting on the premiere. There was a little something about the slapping prostitute but nothing that nips at Don's self-loathing. Somebody mentioned that Don has no self; that's not so. Go back to his conversations with Anna, for starters.

But I digress. The word is grabby, from Roger's comment to Don: "Jane's friend found you to be charming, although a little grabby in the car."

John Slattery delivers the line in a way that makes grabby sound, well, grabby.

Please note: If the woman is Jane's friend, it's hardly likely she would be surprised.

At the Brooklyn Flea this weekend, I was thumbing through cards of Manhattan cafeterias (personally I miss Mary Elizabeth Tea Room) and wondering when Mr Weiner's crew was going to get around to using one for a set. Some nice bentwood chairs to be shown off.

No comments: