Monday, September 27, 2010

Dialled

Plainly this is not a word ending in the letter y, but, it stopped me in my tracks because I felt that within it was a y word trying to get out. Somehow (whoever's teaching that upcoming class at Poet's House could explain this, no doubt) it has all the behavioral signs of a y word. Something about the double l.

I cannot explain it.

So, then: From Alex Ross's piece about John Cage, "Searching for Silence," in the October 4, 2010 issue of The New Yorker:

At the Armory, for a piece titled "Variations VII," Cage and his collaborators manipulated two long tablefuls of devices and dialled up sonic feeds from locations around the city, including the kitchen of Lüchow's Restaurant, the Times printing presses, the aviary at the Zoo, a dog pound, a Con Ed plant, a Sanitation Department depot, and Terry Riley's turtle tank.

I have no idea who Terry Riley is but wonder for a moment if he or she was friends with Billy Name (yes: this piece, with its pre-Facebook microclimate, brings on such questions).

(Am I glad I went to that Varèse concert in July . . . .)

No comments: