Thursday, September 30, 2010

Manufactory

From the Fall 2010 issue of National Design Journal:

TM [Ted Muehling]: I was introduced to the Rath family, owners of Lobmeyr, through the Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory.

You see, even if the manufactory produces supersonic jets, the y puts a wide-eyed Seussian spin on the word. ("Do you make ergonomic lollipops and whistling sweets?" "No, we make giant polluting things that Charles Lindbergh would not like.")

Back to the Design Journal, only to add that the Cooper-Hewitt was my first museum love. I discovered it sometime in my early 20s. My Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler-style fantasy of an overnight stay at a museum immediately transferred from the Met to the Cooper-Hewitt. I really liked the conservatory (almost as much as I liked the kitchen at Hyde Park--although, I must say, now having seen Amanda Hesser and Tad Friend's kitchen in that video on Food52 . . . ). The Cooper-Hewitt also made me daydream of designing my own library and my own bathroom.

Probably high time for a visit.

No comments: