Thursday, November 4, 2010

ay

Admittedly, I am that person shower-shouting songs from "A Chorus Line" or "My Aim is True" or some other relic. Sometimes I hum a Howard Fishman song I like, or a song Kurt Andersen featured one day on Studio 360.

This week I visited the eye doctor and wanted to play "Faraway Eyes" while my pupils were dilating. Alas, all I had was "Sweet Virginia", "Tumbling Dice" and "Satisfaction"--not even "Loving Cup", although it was too early in the day for "Loving Cup", and, besides, I couldn't dance in the waiting room.

Partly because I do some work for a professional choral music group (it sings Messiah at Carnegie Hall), I am listening for more and more older music forms.

A couple of days ago I stumbled into the y-laden field of old French music.

So, then, from the title of a work by Guillaume Dufay:

Missa Se la face ay pale

A little different from the sea-captain ay.

No comments: