Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gy

A close runner-up for tonight was vy, from Nora Ephron's latest book, but visual matters prevail.

Today I met a little girl named Eleanor. She was both feisty and subdued, and my guess is that she is going to turn six this year. I don't know what kind of art projects Eleanor's school offers, but I often think how nice it would be if schools taught children color (the way they teach math and English).

As recently as 1897 the Brooklyn Board of Education kept a book called Suggestions for a Course of Instruction in Color for Public Schools, by Louis Prang, Mary Dana Hicks, and John S. Clark. It was published by the Prang Education Company in 1893. Granted, Prang had a commercial interest in encouraging color education. I can live with that.

From the chart THE SEVEN GRAYS, THEIR TINTS AND SHADES.

Gy
RGy
OGy
YGy
GGy
BGy
VGy

The colors refer to:

Gray
Red Gray or Russet
Orange Gray or Brown
Yellow Gray or Citrine
Green Gray or Olive
Blue Gray or Slate
Violet Gray or Heliotrope

Personally I prefer grey.

No comments: