Friday, December 3, 2010

New Yorky

The thing is, after the attacks on the World Trade Center, the country began to experience what I call the Mid-Westernization of New York. I proposed an article to Harper's with this title. I said the aftermath of the attacks bookended the arrival of the first McDonald's, at the start of the '70s (notes unavailable and surf patience at low tide).

A line from a show Mark Crispin Miller put on about George Bush, "Operation American Freedom", talked about Bush disliking New York because, among other things, it was "too Jewish".

[Note: being Jewish in New York ≠ (let's say) being Jewish in Ohio or even in Montana.]

The Times website does not state that Elaine was New Yorky, but she was; and so she is the absentee host of tonight's word.

“I’ve lived just about the most perfect life,” Ms. Kaufman said in 1998. “I’ve had the best time. If I wanted to do something, I did it. Designers designed my clothes and did my apartment. I had house seats for the theater. I was invited to screenings and book parties. I’ve had fun. What else can you ask in life?”

No comments: